Tuesday, November 06, 2007



Believe it or not, I survived the flight! I didn't even have to get drunk to get through it, though I think it would have made it a lot easier:-) Anyway, when I boarded the plane I was so tired I just took the pillow and fell asleep about five minutes after take-off. I had a tough time when I arrived. It started right away in the passport control;

- Hm, what do we have here? A Seaman's discharge book?!? Are you signing on a vessel?

- Yes!

- Why didn't you tell me right away??

- I'm telling you now!

- That kind of attitude wont work if you want to come to Canada!!!

- What attitude? I just answered your question!

- Hm, when I'm done with you, you can go to the Immigration's desk! Standard procedure (oooh, do I hate those words or what) for seamen! You MUST tell us if you are signing on a vessel!!!!

Five minutes later I was at the Immigration's desk and went thruogh my second round with the Canadian authorities;

- Good afternoon, I was told to visit you, because I'm signing on a vessel!

- Hm, which vessel? Can I see you discharge book?

- Atlantic Compass. (The guy was studying the book, going through every single page)

- Uhum... It says here that you have been on the Atlantic Companion?

- Yes!

- So, why are you signing on the Atlantic Compass?

- Because I have changed vessels.

- Hm, why? Hm, I don't think... WHAT?!? It says here that you have also been on the Atlantic Concert?!? How come? Why is that?

- Well, sometimes you have to change job, right?

- Hm, strange. Well, let me see the papers from the agent!

- Papers? What papers? I have no papers!

- Hm, you have to have papers from the vessel's agent, confirming that you are signing on the vessel!

- Oh, I'm sorry, nobody told me about that and they didn't give my any papers.

- Hm, that's too bad... Well, give me the name of the agent and I'll give them a call.

- I have no idea what agent we use in Halifax...

Well, finally he let me in and told me to go to the next desk. It took me about 20 minutes to explain everything I had already explained to the Immigration and while we were standing there a guy from Canadian customs came to me and told me to visit their desk when I was finished. I must admit that by the time I was pretty annoyed and tired of begging all authority persons to let me into the country, so perhaps I wasn't all that nice when I finally was standing at the custom's desk, watching a guy put on latex gloves before searching my luggage. I KNEW he was going to try to nail me for something, I could see that in his face, so I tried not to sound too hostile, and I failed big times. I was his lucky day, after some calculating he could certify that I had 60 grams of tobacco that I hadn't recorded in the form I signed before arrival. He told me we had a problem and I told him there was a very simple solution to that problem - throw those 60 grams away and we could both be happy. I was once again told that this kind of attitude wouldn't help me getting into Canada. However he said it was a very lucky day for me, because he was in particularly good mood and would not charge me for my terrible crime. He even let me keep the 60 grams, am I lucky or what?!?

Well, after that I crashed at my hotel room and went on board shortly after midnight. I had a very nice trip this time (as well), lots of work and lots of fun. Half of the crew joined the Halloween party, need I tell you I was one of them? Halloween parties are the best, instead of trying to look handsome (way too difficult) you just have to look as terrible as possible, that's the way I like it:-) The picture above shows the engine crew. Haven't asked for permission to show it, but since none of us is recongizeable I did it anyway...

I will be back with more pictures, next will be about the piston overhaul we did in Baltimore.

1 Comments:

At 11:55 AM, Blogger The Ship Scrapping List said...

Hej Suss

What a ordeal you had at the airport, but these people think thay are important and like to give people a hard time, but at least we are not reading your blog "50 gramms and a jail cell" :))

I thought that having the merchant navy standard paperwork with your passport / sigining on/off book and go anywhere visa would have been ok.

Hope you can now relax on your vacation. Goteborg is a nice city, I have been a couple of times few years back, and stayed at the Hotel Robinson, have they finnished that road tunnel near the theatre yet, seemed to go on for ever :). The sailship Gothborg was just at the end of her build at Eriksberg at the time and was docked outside.

I saw Compass arriving at liverpool and some pics are here

http://ships-at-liverpool.fotopic.net/c1398855.html

cannot see you though :)

I am sure you have thousands of readers all over the world, and look forward to your next posting.

Regards
GJ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home